It’s an exciting week for Orion Health’s Director of Research and CEO of Precision Driven Health, Kevin Ross, who has been appointed as one of the newest members of the Digital Council for Aotearoa New Zealand! The appointment is a testament to Kevin’s knowledge and experience in the field, congratulations Kevin!
A single version of Orion Health’s Clinical Portal will be rolled out to three Wellington District Health Boards in conjunction with the Central Region’s portal. By upgrading to a single, consolidated portal the DHBs will be able to share patient data across regions while still maintaining their local functionality.
Northland District Health Board became the fourth and final District Health Board (DHB) in the Northern Region to transition from a local instance of the Orion Health Clinical Portal to the fully regional instance shared by Counties Manukau Health, Auckland and Waitemata DHBs.
The Northern Region’s platform is a single, connected clinical viewing system that includes medical alerts, radiology and laboratory results, clinical history and patient movements from a variety of clinical applications. It is a key clinical platform for clinicians within the region to manage and treat patients.
Operating on a fully regionally instance will be a great improvement for health providers who work across one or more DHB by providing a consistent user experience. Single sign-on functionality will make it quick and easy for clinicians to access patient data to support decision-making, and a single regional view will mean a seamless experience for patients who move between borders.
The Northern Region via HealthAlliance has invested in an enhanced operating model which provides ongoing and iterative improvements to the platform, with Orion Health providing product expertise resources. The transition to a fully regional Clinical Portal is a great milestone achievement towards the region’s goal of creating a more connected health system.
With the upcoming Health NZ reforms and direction to provide better access to health information, this achievement makes the Northern Region well placed for future shifts and success in this space and Orion Health looks forward to being part of this journey.
Read the healthAlliance article for more.
Read about our product updates and highlights for the year!
Clinical Portal leverages Orion Health Amadeus to provide clinicians with tools to support patient care by integrating existing disparate information systems, providing a single view of all patient data.
Clinical Portal enhancements released in 2021 that customers can now benefit from include:
- – The first release of docked windows in Clinical Portal 8.11, allowing docking, and viewing of content throughout the user’s workflow.
- – User preference service, which is a mechanism used to store personalisation data gathered through the user experience. For example, the CDV tree’s width now retains its width throughout navigation and across user sessions, meaning that it will be sticky ongoing.
- – The inclusion of a Context Action button to allow quick access to commonly used functionality from the patient banner. This allows, for example, quick launch of activities in a user’s workflow (e.g. Vitals entry, Progress notes, etc), in a docked window (where supported) or lightbox.
- – Clinical Portal Mobile continues to be developed to provide mobility solutions across iOS and Android devices, which allow access to patient summary data (via Portal Dashboards), which can be integrated with results, or other desired data, and allows access to mobile enabled apps. For example;
- – Bedside Observations: EWS, PEWS and MEWS which support; desktop or mobile; charting of vitals available on the go.
Orion Health Coordinate comprises workflow products built on top of our Amadeus platform to provide comprehensive population health solutions that turn high-quality aggregated data into ‘actionable information’.
2021 has seen some exciting updates from Coordinate products including:
- – The first release from our new Patient Forms and Questionnaires product to enable patients and their representatives to complete medical documentation digitally.
- – Enhancing the user experience with Clinical Referrals 5.5 by providing more flexibility when performing certain actions in the workflow and adding new share functionality.
- – The launch of Checklists 1.0, a new Coordinate product. Checklists, now available in version 1.1, enable the accurate and efficient handover of patients across the continuum of care by providing an interactive digital list of items and checks that have been or need completing.
- – Care Pathways 2.25.0 improved documentation functionality with its new quick texts feature that enables the storing and easy re-use of commonly entered words and phrases to optimise clinical data entry processes.
- – The fastest version of Collaborative Worklists, version 1.14, was released which included enhancements to streamline the end-user experience. Watch this space for the launch of Collaborative Worklists 2.0 in early 2022!
- – Coordinate’s Breast Screening solution also released version 7.5 which delivers several enhancements based on end-user feedback including better visibility of key clinical information to improve decision-making and increase patient safety.
Discover is an analytics solution for exploring data, to assist decision-making in improving clinical outcomes.
The Discover team have been working hard all year to introduce new features and benefits in response to customer feedback and requirements.
Highlights from 2021 include:
- – Improved usability for clinicians by expanding the number of data domains available in the data warehouse in Discover 2.0 and enhancing the Discover Dive extension with new configurability of patient lists.
- – Discover 2.2.0 now integrates with Collaborative Worklists to enable a more effective and collaborative approach to action insights. This enables users to create and share a worklist directly from a dashboard with a list of patients so that it can be managed and accessed consistently from Clinical Portal.
- – The next release, Discover 2.3.0, enables a single set of Discover eCQM dashboards to be used to monitor performance and close care gaps by the HIE across the entire population and by individual participants for their enrolled population.
Finally, the Discover Data Warehouse now includes star schemas for encounters, procedures, problems, results, and allergies, which enable ad-hoc analyses and dashboards to be developed on clinical data.
Engage provides relevant educational information for patients, encouraging them to actively contribute to their wellness journey.
Highlights from the Engage line of business this year include:
- – Our Patient Portal now provides comprehensive views of the patient longitudinal health record, including patient demographics, encounters, clinical documents, appointments, allergies, lab results, procedures, conditions, medications, dispensed medications and immunisations.
- – We have removed product dependencies on deprecated web technologies Adobe Flash and Internet Explorer 11.
- – We have improved several high-value applications such as clinical documents and lab results. Our Documents application now supports HTML documents as well as PDFs, and Lab Results error handling has been improved to manage the delivery of complex test results.
- – We have extended our support for Patient Portal user authentication to enable industry leading protocols, like OpenID Connect, OAuth 2.0 and SAML. This also enables customers to introduce single-sign on capabilities and multi-factor authentication to improve portal security for their end users.
- – We have extended our Patient Portal framework to support integrations with complimentary Orion Health patient-facing applications, such as Patient Forms, Remote Patient Monitoring and Digital Front Door.
- – We have enabled a content management system to be leveraged with Patient Portal, enabling customers to directly manage content pages within the solution
Orion Health Intelligence gives customers access to world-class data science products and services. Our tailored projects are focused on improving the safety and quality of care, achieving better patient outcomes and reducing cost.
We’ve made some exciting additions to our innovation toolkits in 2021 including:
- – De-Identifier which enables safe data sharing with a framework of tools covering end-to-end de-identification activities. De-Identifier can handle a range of data types and applies various de-identification techniques to ensure your data is safe to use.
- – Document Tagger which is a beta-released NLP solution that converts unstructured text into structured, codified content, so that focused clinical insights can be extracted. Document Tagger (Beta) supports clinical entity identification, links to all SNOMED concept types and now leverages the open-source BERT language model for even better accuracy.
The Medicines Viewer is the platform to aggregate medications data, including externally sourced messaged prescription orders, dispense fill records, administrations, and medication lists from externally sourced documents; optionally combined with the curated, authoritative current medication list generated within Orion Health Medicines.
In 2021, Medicines Viewer v3.10 introduced enhanced FHIR aggregators, APIs, and data storage to support the consolidation and presentation of immunisation information for our HIE and Shared Care Record customers.
Orion Health Enterprise is a functionally rich, fully integrated hospital information solution supporting the delivery of optimised healthcare.
2021 saw the introduction of several new features across patient administration and web clinicals that were developed in response to customer feedback. This includes:
- – Enterprise 21.1.0, which provides enhancements to enable more efficient and accurate processing of patients through validation of patient communication methods, improvements to documentation notifications and enhancements to support future orders.
- – Enterprise 21.2.0, which expands audit history to incorporate all aspects of patient related changes and a patient’s circle of care related changes from one screen. It also includes added support for e-payments through dedicated APIs and payment types, a web-based document editor in the clinicals module and enabled the use of a third party radiology information system (RIS) for processing orders and results.
Communicate is a secure network for the exchange of healthcare information.
2021 has seen many changes, key features and user workflow improvements, as well as great strides in functionality and usability of our Provider Directory. Some key highlights are:
- – Performance and security improvements system wide, especially in regard to search speed and bulk data importing for the Provider Directory.
- – The release of public APIs for searching and modifying Provider Directory data.
- – Improvements to user management allowing users to manage their Provider Directory presence more easily as well as improved feedback around passwords and their expiry.
If you have any questions about these updates, or would like to find out more please get in touch.