Get the tools to build in-house apps that leverage in-house data
Wouldn’t it be great if you could easily develop in-house applications that provide authorised users with targeted access to your in-house data? Without straightforward access to healthcare data and information, the possibility of building an app ecosystem will remain a dream.
What do I mean when I say “app”? The definition of application software or app is changing in this age of big data and AI. We have traditional applications made from programmed logic and domain expertise. These apps are often delivered by web browsers or mobile devices. Today we need to consider how we also serve the new class of app that contains learned logic via machine learning. This new data hungry class of app is constrained by poor access to data or information. These data derived apps can also represent significant value to the organisation when they are supported by quality data pipelines.
Current access to in-house data is difficult
At the moment, developing in-house applications that need access to in-house data is really difficult. There are a number of reasons for this:
- Data silos with proprietary protocols, formats and no or low fidelity/inflexible API capabilities
- The available data is raw and not suitable for consumption by downstream apps
- Undefined or poor performance of available source data systems that are not designed for powering modern apps
- There is no self-service capability which means development projects are costly.
Data in organisations is often locked away in silos and even if you have access, the data container has not been designed to support the needs of a modern app developer.
Amadeus CORE dramatically changes the landscape
The introduction of Amadeus CORE dramatically changes the healthcare data landscape, it provides the tools for in-house applications to be able to access in-house data. Amadeus CORE is built using a big data capable, micro-service architecture that is designed to support reliable and secure access by apps.
What features in Amadeus CORE make it easier to access in-house data you need to leverage in-house applications:
- Extends an organisations integration engine with secure and scalable Amazon Web Services (AWS) cloud storage
- Self-service tooling, where you are in control to define custom domains
- Transform raw data into useful information, in the shape you define in your domain definition
- Standing server infrastructure that transforms your design into a running service in production
- Leverage standards-based data formats and protocols for interacting with your services i.e. ANSI SQL and RESTful/JSON APIs
- Use common off-the-shelf (COTS) tools to interact with your custom domains
- Secure access to your information domains
- Scale to meet demand of modern apps
Amadeus CORE provides the foundational services needed to manage the lifecycle and consumption of data-oriented applications. With services that enable:
- Create, read, update, search and delete APIs
- Data contract using your custom model and/or the predefined information models
- Historical information is available for re-use without the expense of retrieving the data a second time from the source
By leveraging Amadeus CORE you can turn data into information. The information model is a central concept that enables app developers to build stable data applications. Users can leverage a modern API Gateway to publish, monitor and secure data access. With the ability to control fine-grained access to each API operation. Users can also define plans that set throttling and request quota limits for each individual API.
An exciting example of Amadeus CORE in action, is a two-year project with Precision Driven Health involving university researchers, clinicians, technical leaders and other end-users/stakeholders (including Māori Research Advisors). The vital signs monitoring and clinical decision support project started in July and will run for 24 months.
The project captures vital signs from hospital patients through Bluetooth medical devices and wearables. Patients are monitored for any deterioration in their vital signs and if the vital signs show acute physical deterioration, clinicians are notified in real-time so they can respond and take appropriate action. The goal of the project is to evaluate and validate point-of-care vital signs monitoring in a hospital ward and to measure the impact of real-time monitoring capability to enable improved clinical decision making. The project hopes to show time saving in the collection of routine patient observations and reduced time taken for alerts being sent to a critical care outreach team through the automated alert of early warning scores.
Via cross-platform mobile applications, the collection of vital signs occurs via wireless devices in real-time. The mobile app integrates with the medical devices, clinical risk tools and calculators, as well as an evidence-based clinical knowledgebase, empowering clinicians with accurate decision support tools at the point of care.
Amadeus CORE provides the data storage of the vital signs data and together with related patient and hospital information, powers the third-party app. The availability of standard RESTful JSON APIs makes it possible to provide a clear line of responsibility between the data provider and the third-party app developer. Resulting in real-time point-of-care vital signs monitoring of patients in a hospital ward.
Amadeus CORE enables the utilisation of RESTful APIs on pre-configured and custom data models to create an ecosystem of applications. Secure read, write, search, update and delete APIs enable developers to build innovative applications on top of the shared data. Amadeus CORE makes it easier to build in-house apps that leverage in-house data.
Check out the data sheet for more information.